Thursday, January 12, 2012

There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays

Our three weeks at home went by far too quickly. We each spent time with family, friends and our dogs. We were a bit dismayed to see that Rio, who was Seth and my dog, had become Bob's dog. Fickle creature.

Welcome Home
Seth was quite surprised to see the TV cameras and reporters waiting for him at the airport, and he handled them with grace. We were so moved to see the way our house was decorated for the occasion. The spotlights were genius. Many people told us they were brought to tears upon driving by our house. Thanks to those who made our home such a lovely tribute to Seth and great welcome for us.

Christmas and Country Songs
Miles with the grandnieces and nephews just this fall
Our Christmas was at once wonderful and woeful. We were, of course, so happy to all be together at home and, especially, to have Seth with us. Sadly, our dog Miles had been ill for several weeks. I told Bob to keep him alive until we got home, which he did. When Seth and I got home, Miles rallied for a few days and then declined rapidly. Our kind vet David Hyde came by on Christmas day. Miles was asleep in his bed and didn’t even wake up when Dave gave him the injection. It was a sad, sad moment, but I’m grateful for the gentleness of it and that we could all be there for Miles and for each other. When I told a friend our sad Christmas story, she said, “Your life is beginning to sound like a country song.”

Jerrica, Ethan, Seth and Jarom
Thanks, Raquel and Story
After saying goodbye to Miles, our Christmas day was pretty much like any other--unwrapping presents, enjoying each others' company and hamming it up for the camera.

Other Highlights
Decorating cookies for Seth's platoon
We enjoyed going out to dinner with family and friends, visits from friends, family parties and get-togethers, and doing normal Christmas things, like making and eating Christmas treats.

It was in the 50s for much of our time in Utah. It finally snowed two days before we left, but the snow was mostly gone by the time we left. We arrived in D.C. on January 9 to a heavy snowstorm, but the snow was gone by the next day. We are deeply grateful to Kirsten, another BYU roommate, and her son for driving three hours from PA to pick us up at the airport and spend the evening with us.

Back to the Grind
Seth has been busy with appointments, and it feels like we never left.


  1. Glad you got to go home, and glad you're safely back, hope to see you soon! I have new blankets! :)

  2. I'm so glad for you that you both got to come home for a while! You guys looked great on the news :)

    I hope things continue to go well for you!