Saturday, July 2, 2011

Day 2

This morning the liaison called about 8:00 to tell us that Seth had just come out of his second surgery and was stable and getting reading to fly to Germany in the morning (Saturday night for us since they are approximately 11 hours ahead of us). The doctors did an angiogram to see if there were any blood clots--and there were not. They redressed the hand, put a loose dressing over the amputation and washed the wound from his buttock to the amputation, which they will leave open. They had no more news about when we would get to see him or where, but I am guessing we will leave Monday or Tuesday.

It was a quiet day; I didn't want to leave the house in case I missed a phone call. We were happy to share the good news with the many friends who stopped by and called. I felt so happy and hopeful--such a contrast to yesterday.

It's been a long day. I really just want to be on an airplane.

In the evening, Jerrica came over so we could write thank-you notes. I needed something to do, so this was a good, useful thing to do. Then we got a big shock and surprise--the phone rang and it was Seth! He was all drugged up and sounded funny, I'm sure because he had been entubated. He asked me if I knew what happened and I didn't want to tell him in case he hadn't been told everything, so I asked him to tell me. He said, "I don't want you to freak out." I told him I wouldn't and he said, "My pelvis is broken, my right leg is broken and I lost my left foot." Of course, this brought back the tears that I thought I had run out of. He said, "I'm going to be OK. It's going to be OK." The nurse was there, listening and prompting him when necessary. He told me we would probably see him at Walter Reed and then said, "I don't even know where that is." It was so wonderful to hear him and so terrible at the same time. I didn't like talking to him all drugged up. I wondered if he would remember what they had told him or that he had talked to me. I didn't want him to act like he was OK just for me. I told him I wish he could see and know about all the people who care about him, are praying for him and who love him and because they can't serve him, they are serving us.

Our fridge is full of food, and we have been touched by everyone who has appeared at the front door or called to show their love to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment